How to Restart an EC2 Instance in AWS and Troubleshooting Tips
In case of an Emergency situation where a server is not responding or seems extremely slow a possible solution would be to restart the server, in this case, we use Amazon Web Services (AWS) and look for Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instance, also known as a server.
To log in to AWS and restart an EC2 instance by turning it off and then turning it back on, follow these steps:
- Open a web browser and go to the AWS login page at https://aws.amazon.com/.
- Enter the AWS account email address and password, and then click on the “Sign In” button (Under IT Important Logins).
- Once you are logged in to the AWS Management Console, click on the “Services” menu in the top navigation bar and select “EC2” from the list of services.
- In the EC2 dashboard, click on the “Instances” menu in the left navigation panel and then click on the checkbox next to the EC2 instance that you want to restart.
- If you don’t find the EC2 Instance make sure you look at the top right between the icon (?) and your account name and make sure it’s the correct location most servers should be under N. Virginia but some are around the US like N. California and Ohio.
- From the “Actions” menu, select “Instance State” and then click on the “Stop” option.
- In the “Stop Instances” dialog box, click on the “Yes, Stop” button to confirm the action.
- Once the EC2 instance has been stopped (this might take a few minutes), you can start it again by selecting the “Start” option from the “Actions” menu.
- In the “Start Instances” dialog box, click on the “Yes, Start” button to confirm the action.
- The EC2 instance will now be started, and you will see a message indicating the status of the start process.
Note: Stopping and starting an EC2 instance will temporarily disrupt any services or applications running on the instance. It is important to use this feature only in emergency situations, such as when the instance is unresponsive or not functioning properly.
In conclusion, restarting an EC2 instance in AWS by turning it off and then turning it back on is a simple process that can be done quickly and easily. By following the steps outlined above, you can quickly and easily log in to AWS, find the EC2 instance that you want to restart, and initiate the stop and start processes. This can help to ensure that any services or applications running on the instance are restored and available to users as quickly as possible.